Who doesn’t love the softest cottonly soft fluffy texture cake? Everyone has been asking for the recipe and how to do it ever since I posted it on my Instagram story. I am happy to say the wait is over!
I wanted to do this for quite some time, just that I unfortunately lacked of ingredients at home. Basically, the chiffon cake is just a simple cake.
As a kid, I loved pottering in the kitchen , watching the preparation and baking process.
4 egg yolks
20gm castor sugar
1/4 tsp salt
35ml corn oil
100gm cake flour (sifted)
3 tsp instant coffee (nescafe)
2 tsp warm water
80gm castor sugar
1. In a large whisking bowl, beat eggs yolks with sugar till pale, add in salt and oil. Mix briefly until it turns to ‘mayonnaise-like’.
2. Add in milk. Slowly fold in sieved flour until it forms batter. Add in diluted instant coffee.
3. To make egg white foam, beat egg whites until mixture forms soft peaks. Gradually add in sugar, beating at high speed until stiff peaks form.
4. Gently fold beaten egg white foam into egg yolk batter until fully combined. Note that, do not overmix it.
5. Pour batter into an 8 inch ungreased alloy round cake pan. Tap the pan a few times on the table to get rid of any trapped air bubble in the batter.
6. Preheat oven to 170°C.
7. Bake for 40 – 45 minutes or until cooked. When lightly pressed, the cake will spring back.
8. Immediately invert pan. Let it cool completely in pan, about 1 hour.
9. Run a knife around sides and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate.